Tokyo Orders 29 Low Floor City Buses from Volgren
A first of it’s kind deal for Tokyo’s bustling transport network!
29 Volgren low floor city buses have been ordered for use in the Japanese city of Tokyo. The buses will be built on Scania N280UB E6 chassis.
At present there are no current localised production of these type of vehicles, with supply only being available from Europe. However, the European vehicles are non-compliant to many Japanese regulations.
Volgren has developed a special relationship with the Tokyo Metropolitan Government (TMG) who already operate something like 1,450 buses in their region.
Peter Dale – Volgren Chief Executive has been quoted as saying, “Volgren has built up reputation in Japan for manufacturing high quality, niche vehicles”.
Filling the Void
It is these vehicles that will fill the void that others are unable to.
The new batch of vehicles will be built in Dandenong, VIC and will feature specific technology that TMG are looking for.
Each vehicle will be equipped with on-board passenger info systems as well as ticketing equipment. Safety will also be paramount, with buses meeting emergency exit requirements.
Believed to better cater for Tokyo’s ageing population, the low floor buses will increase capacity and provide improved access.
Production is due to commence in May, with completion scheduled by August 2018.
For more information on this exciting development, head over to
Other articles that we have covered in this series include:
- Coach and Bus UK 2017 Highlight News – http://ecoachmanager.com/coach-bus-uk-2017-highlight-news/
- Australasia Bus & Coach Expo 2017 Review – http://ecoachmanager.com/australasia-bus-coach-expo-2017-review/
- Free Low Emissions Bus Workshop – http://ecoachmanager.com/free-low-emissions-bus-workshop/
- Modern Changes At Brisbane Airport – http://ecoachmanager.com/modern-changes-brisbane-airport/
- Leeds Retains Appetite for Mass Transit Plans – http://ecoachmanager.com/leeds-retains-appetite-mass-transit-plans/
- Tender’s are in for the Rugby League World Cup 2017 Transport Providers – http://ecoachmanager.com/tenders-rugby-league-world-cup-2017-transport-providers/
- Multi-patient Ambulance bus hits the streets of South Australia in an Australian first – http://ecoachmanager.com/multi-patient-ambulance-bus-hits-streets-south-australia-australian-first/
- New Irizar i8 launched to UK coach operators – http://ecoachmanager.com/new-irizar-i8-launched-uk-coach-operators/
Keeping Up To Date!
Want to keep up to date with other industry news or developments to the eCoachManager system? Bookmark our blog page for future use and visit and like our Facebook Page for the latest news and updates!